2/01/2011

Going Home with a Drain

Ladies and Gents I got home Wednesday the 26th.  We went to Walgreens and got my prescription-Liquid Hydrocodone.  I actually went inside...yeah I mostly sat.  As soon as we got home Mom piled the pillows high so that my head would be elevated...oh it felt like a cloud.  On Thursday I decided that I was going to take a shower without assistance.  I cheated by having a shower chair!

For those of you that go home with a drain...the BEST advice I got.  Keep your panties on and safety pin the drain to your panties.  This makes sure that your drain isn't falling and you have 2 hands to wash yourself and your hair.  It was the best feeling to do it on my own! 

I have steadily went down on my drainage.  From home the first few days each time I drained in a day I had at least 40cc to flush.  The last 2 days, however, I'm proud to say that I've only had 20cc for the entire day.
I also will tell you that I hate my drain the most out of every little opening.  When I lay down or pull a certain way the drain is what is uncomfortable.  As much as I hate it though, it is necessary to keep my body healing making sure I get no infection or that I swell up.   

I am so looking forward to my post-op appointment tomorrow.  I am hoping that the drain comes out and if not I want my bandages changed.  With as many showers as I've taken I still feel yucky.  I don't know why I wasn't told to NOT change the bandage on my drain...especially since every place I looked mentioned changing bandages daily on the jp drain.  BUT...I'm ready. 

Ummm yesterday I went to the eye dr.  I figure since I have time off from work that I may as well get to the eye dr too so I don't have to ask off to go.  I got my papers from Prudential regarding my disability from work.  So all is well in that dept.  I sat down at the table in the kitchen yesterday with my Bill Organizer I got this past October and got all of that organized like I've wanted.   I've caught up on The Bachelor.  I've watched Dexter episodes with the family.  I've reached what feels like the end of the Internet.  ...and I'm not allowed to drive.  What else can one do? 

I have to tell you that a few days ago I was hankering for Pintos and Cheese from Taco Bell.  (I read on someone's blog before I had surgery that this was one of the foods that they liked. )  It was AWESOME.  For days on end this was all I wanted. A bowl of it contains about 3oz.  So I can make a meal and a half out of it.  My hubby was so sweet and bought me more than 1 bowl and measured them out for me.  He's so sweet.

One of the things I bought for my birthday was a food processor.  I've never had one.  ...and I love it.  I went to Casa Brava today and was going to use it but found that the food could be chewed to the consistency I needed.  I've gotten good on reading my body and I knew when I was full.  There was so much food left but I am so excited...I can eat on it for at least a few days before I have to pitch it. I had shredded steak with cheese and beans.  It was right up there with the Pintos and Cheese.

Nausea?
I've had 0. Zip. Nadda!  That was one thing that impressed the dr at the hospital. 

Yesterday the family was having a leftover night.  We made chili a few days ago.  ...so chili dogs were made. I don't know why but I wanted a hot dog so bad.  I've read too many blogs or posts from people post gastric though vomiting on that...and let's face it...it wasn't too healthy.  Basically, both of those were great deterrants. 

Face it, why on earth would I be willing to do all of the pre-op stuff and even moreso than what was asked of me, pay money, risk my life, ask my family for help, take time off from work to fail?  That's right- I just wouldn't.  Let's face it people.  I want to be healthy and have energy, not just for me, but for my husband, kids, and family!

Yesterday, I weighed.  I've lost a total of 27lbs!

 I'm having a London Tipton moment!  YAY GO ME!

1 comment:

The Bat Cave said...

OMG 27 pounds!!!! That's AWESOME!!!!